Monday, October 8, 2012

Brownlow Count

“Hi dad.”
“Oh g’day, Gen! What are you doing?”
“I’m just at home. I just got back from Abbotsford.”
“Oh, good. I’m just watching the telly.”
North Melbourne versus Geelong, Etihad Stadium.
“I talked to mum today, she told me about the doctor’s.”
“Oh yeah. Yeah.”
North Melbourne, M. Firrito, one vote.
“How are you feeling?”
“Oh you know, I’m fine!
North Melbourne, B. Harvey, two votes.
I feel fine, apart from my bloody hip, which actually worries me more than any of this stuff.
North Melbourne, J. Ziebell, three votes.
It’s all a mystery, Gen! It’s all the mystery of life!”
“Yeah.”
Round 4. St Kilda versus Fremantle, Etihad Stadium.
“Yeah. It’s all a bit strange. But you know, I’m not particularly affected by it.”
St Kilda, L. Hayes, one vote.
“You’re not scared at all?”
“Not particularly.”
Fremantle, S. Hill, two votes.
“Ok.”
“You know, if I didn’t have my faith I probably would be.
Fremantle, A. Sandilands, three votes.
 I just feel for people in my position without any faith.”
“Yep.”
Carlton versus Essendon, Melbourne Cricket Ground.
“Ahh. Well. Anyway. I’ll let you go, Gen. It’s all just a big mystery.
Essendon, S. Crameri, one vote.
But you know, I’ve got God, and I couldn’t ask for more comfort than that, you know? Whether people believe it or not, you come from God and you go back to God and that’s all there is to it!
Essendon, J. Watson, two votes.
And you never know, I could go on for another twenty years or I could get hit by a truck tomorrow! You never know, Gen! Life’s funny! It’s all a big mystery!”
Essendon, B. Stanton, three votes.     
“Yep.”
“Mm!”
Collingwood versus Port Adelaide, Etihad Stadium.
“Anyway, I’ll let you go, Gen. Send my regards to Kim.”
“Alright, dad.”
Collingwood, T. Cloke, one vote.
“Seeya darlin.”
“Bye dad.”
Port Adel--

No comments:

Post a Comment